Warning: The originals photos, texts, films, music, etc ... of the period previous to 1921 year -see the Act of the US Congress about it - have no copyright and belong to the public domain. However, those same pictures, I process this blog, when I restore and paint the pictures, then the right of modification is produced, ie that are protected by full copyright law, in this case mine. Of course there are many more laws in the world, declared in the public domain photographs (which is the topic at hand), in very later dates to the aforementioned (Example: WWII, Korea, etc ...) .

Monday, December 19, 2011

Packard-Izhorsky Armored Car. Freikorps Wolf, Munich, 1919.



Packard-Izhorsky Armored Cars in Bavaria in 1919

The only two Packard-Izhorsky Armored Car made by the Russians (1915) were captured by the Germans in Latvia during the spring of 1918 in Dvinsk (now Daugavpils).

They were made in 1915 by the Workshop Izhorsky, St. Petersburg on U.S. trucks of 3 tons Packard for the 1st Machine Gun Cars Company  (1-я автомобильная пулемётная рота). In March 1915 were assigned to the 2nd and 3rd platoon, each with two Russo-Balt Armored Car.

The vehicle of photography, was used in 1919 in Bavaria by the Freikorps Wolf and participated, added to the Bavarian Rifle Corps* (Bayerisches Schützenkorps) in the fighting that occurred 1-3 May in the city of Munich against Communist troops government of the Soviet Republic of Bavaria. This Packard-Izhorsky armored car, highlighted in the fighting in the square Stiegelmeier for to seize the famous (later) "Lowenbrau Beer", where Bavarian Soviet troops entrenched.

To both Packard-Izhorsky were the main armament removed, a 37 mm automatic cannon Maxim-Nordenfeltel, and are replaced by an automatic cannon 20 mm Becker (Becker Tankabwehrkanone 2cm M11), this requires modifying the shield to the gun. The armament was supplemented with three machine guns MG 08/15 Maxim "Light" with 100 rounds drums (A shield on the roof of the driver, another one of the front side of the box combat and the third placed in a pocket in the rear armored vehicle).

The photo is taken at one of the esplanades of the Nymphenburg Palace in Munich, days after the conquest of the city. The vehicle is adorned with the flags of Germany and Bavaria (White and Blue).

(*) The Bavarian Rifle Corps (Bayerisches Schützenkorps) was new denomination the Freikorps Epp received, immediately before (April 18, 1919) fighting in Bavaria. The Freikorps was created by Colonel Ritter von Epp on February 11, 1919 and for the protection of the borders of the East.


*****************************


Coches Blindados Packard-Izhorsky en Baviera en 1919

Los dos únicos Coches Blindados Packard-Izhorsky fabricados por los rusos (1915) fueron capturados por los alemanes en Letonia, durante la primavera de 1918, en Dvinsk (actualmente Daugavpils).

Fueron fabricados en 1915 en los Talleres Izhorsky de San Petersburgo sobre camiones estadounidenses Packard de 3 toneladas, siendo destinados a la 1ª Compañía de Auto-Ametralladoras (1-я автомобильная пулемётная рота). En marzo de 1915 fueron asignados al 2º y 3º pelotones, cada uno de los cuales contaba con dos Coches Blindados Ruso-Balt.

El vehículo de la fotografía fue usado por el Freikorps Wolf  que agregado al Cuerpo de Fusileros Bávaros* (Bayerisches Schützenkorps), participó en los combates del 1 al 3 de mayo de 1919 por la conquista de la ciudad de Munich, que se hallaba en poder de las tropas comunistas del gobierno de la República Soviética de Baviera.

Este Coche Blindado Packard-Izhorsky se distinguió en los combates de la plaza Stiegelmeier y en la toma de la posteriormente célebre “Cervecería Lowenbrau”, donde se atrincheraban fuertemente algunas de las tropas soviéticas bávaras, constituidas por soldados y por civiles voluntarios.

A ambos Packard-Izhorsky se les cambió el armamento principal, consistente en un cañón automático de 37-mm. Maxim-Nordenfeltel montado sobre pedestal en la caja de combate. Este armamento fue reemplazado por cañones automáticos Becker de 20-mm. (2-cm. Tankabwehrkanone Becker M11), lo que requirió modificar el escudo blindado que protegía el cañón, a fin de acoplar el cargador del arma. El armamento de cada vehículo se complementó con tres ametralladoras Maxim MG 08/15 "Ligeras" con tambores de 100 proyectiles (una con escudo sobre el techo de la cabina del conductor, otra en uno de los laterales delanteros de la caja de combate y la tercera colocada en una tronera en la parte posterior blindada del vehículo).

La fotografía está tomada en una de las explanadas del Palacio Nymphenburg de Munich, días después de la conquista de la ciudad. El vehículo está engalanado con las banderas de Alemania y de Baviera (blanca y azul).

(*) El Cuerpo de Fusileros Bávaros (Bayerisches Schützenkorps) es la nueva denominación que recibió el Freikorps Epp, inmediatamente antes (18 de abril de 1919) de los combates en Baviera. Este Freikorps fue creado por el Coronel Ritter von Epp, el 11 de febrero de 1919, estando destinado a la protección de las fronteras del Este.

No comments:

Post a Comment